Summertime is here and what better thing to do than travel! This past weekend I made the long journey from NYC to Martha’s Vineyard and let me tell you, it was worth the drive. If you have never heard of Martha’s Vineyard, it’s an island 45 minutes away from Cape Cod in Massachusetts. Oh, and did I mention that the Obamas like travel here as well? Not too shabby. If you’re looking to travel somewhere beautiful and relaxing this is the place for you.
So what should you do once you’re there? Let me tell you:
1. Rent a moped - my boyfriend will be stunned to see that I put this as number one. Let me start by saying that I was VERY excited to rent a moped but little did I know that a moped is really just a motorcycle that can’t go too fast. I tried to drive this beast of a vehicle with little success and basically found myself pulling the gas handle bar while breaking and fell over in the parking lot during the first two seconds of driving. Awesome. Moments later my boyfriend took the wheel and drove like a pro down the street with me holding on for dear life behind him. Have you ever had one of those moments when you hear yourself saying something and it’s your mother’s voice coming out of you? Yes, that happened to me as I yelled SLOW DOWN at the top of my lungs every other second as we sped up and down the hilly terrain of Martha’s Vineyard. You would think we were going 50 or 60 miles per hour – but no folks, that would be predictable – we were only going 15 MPH. Now you know I’m a nutcase. Anyway, renting a moped was convenient, a good way to really see the island, and in the end when I finally got used to the damn thing, it was fun. Rent one, but beware!
2. Stay at a Bed & Breakfast - My boyfriend and I stayed at a quaint bed & breakfast in the center of Oak Bluffs and it was perfect. Not only did they have free cookies laying out at all times, free ice pops in the freezer to take whenever you wanted and fresh pastries every morning, but the rooms were homey and it didn’t feel like we were in a hotel. We stayed at the Madison Inn and I definitely recommend it.
3. Visit the Gay Head Cliffs - These were some spectacular views. For a moment I felt like I was in Ireland or Scotland, but no, I was right in little old Martha’s Vineyard. The water is a bright blue and the cliffs are natural and gorgeous. Go, take in the sights, and just enjoy the amazingness that is Martha’s Vineyard.
4. Visit Edgartown - This town is too cute for words. Although Edgartown became famous for being the filming site for Jaws, that is not the reason why people continually go there. Start your night off by getting a drink at the Harbor View hotel right on the water. Then take a seat on the porch in one of their rocking chairs and watch the sailboats come in and out of the harbor. Once you’re done sipping on a drink or two, take a walk down Water Street and sneak a peek into the “Captain’s Homes” located on both sides of the street. Most of these houses were built in the 1800′s and have been beautifully restored. If you find yourself getting hungry as you take in the beauty of these historic houses, stroll down to Chesca’s and grab a bite to eat. Chesca’s has a great atmosphere and even better food. Trust me, you won’t forget Edgartown.
5. Go on the Flying Horses Carousel in Oak Bluffs - This is national landmark that was originally located in Coney Island, New York and was moved to Oak Bluffs in 1884. It is the oldest platform carousel in the U.S. and is a must see! As you ride the carousel, be one of many trying to grab the brass ring from a slot on the side. If you’re the lucky one, you’ll get a free ride.
6. Get the truffle fries at Offshore Ale Company in Oak Bluffs - Enough said.
7. Get a lobster at Larsen’s Fish Market - I’m not a big fan of seafood, but I watched my boyfriend eat a three pound lobster with the happiest grin on his face at Larsen’s. Out of all places to eat on Martha’s Vineyard, this has been rated number one by Zagat. Don’t miss out, go to the town of Menemsha and get some great good at Larsen’s.
8. Go to the beach! - Throw on your bathing suit and catch some rays with some people you love. The views are gorgeous and no matter where you stay, the water is never too far away.
9. Eat at The Black Dog and buy some Black Dog gear - This is a must! Have you ever seen someone wearing a sweatshirt with a black dog on it? Of course you have! They are EVERYWHERE. Finally, I have one of my own! Get some good food at The Black Dog and get something to remember it by – and if you don’t, you’ll regret it. It’s basically something saying, “Hey, I’ve been to Martha’s Vineyard!” You’ll find it funny when you go there – there’s one Black Dog restaurant on the island and around 50 merchandise stores. Okay, I’m exaggerating, but you get what I’m saying. Buy your gear and be part of the Martha’s Vineyard crowd.
Planning your next vacation or weekend trip? Go to Martha’s Vineyard. It’s Renegade Recommended.