I absolutely love New York City in the summer. The city is simply thriving and on the right track at all times (except certain subway lines.) I’ve always felt that everyone is at their best during the summertime, in spite of the awful humidity. There’s something about the sun that takes a little bit of the edge off of New Yorkers, must be all of those endorphins! Men and women appear to be happier and the city feeds from that energy, and that’s why it’s such a great time to date or start a new relationship.
During the hot and sometimes unbearable summer days and nights, there are an infinite amount of events that you can attend with your crush, date or significant other. There are so many different kinds of things going on ranging from concerts to plays to carnivals. The prices vary also, making it easy for couples of all kinds to enjoy a bit of that city lovin’.
Here are some great date ideas that can be special and fun regardless of what stage you’re at in your relationship or how much money you have in your wallet. They’re bound to make your summer a little hotter!
1. Beach: There’s nothing better than just lying on the beach, underneath the sun with a person that you really like. Going to the beach is relatively cheap and you get to soak up the sun, swim in the ocean and be half-naked in public—it’s pure perfection. If you manage to get to Coney Island, the boardwalk can be lots of fun too! All in all, the beach date is a great way to be outdoors, work on your tan and if you’re like me, ogle at your boy’s body.
2. Movie in the Park: Free movie? Outdoors? Surrounded by sky-scrapers? There is nothing to complain about in this scenario. New York City plays films all around the city in most of the boroughs. Films range from classics, to more recent releases as well as some indie and foreign films. There is a romantic feel to sitting beneath the stars (even though they’re barely visible) and watching a movie with fellow New Yorkers while holding the hand of someone you care about. Also, you can bring your own food and drinks and have a little picnic prior to the film. This date gives a new twist to the typical “dinner and a movie” date.
3. Picnic: If you love being outside and eating then this will be a wonderful date! Picnics are a great alternative to going to restaurants. You get to bring your own food, which saves you a lot of money and you get to be outside while you eat it! Afterwards, you can even go for a stroll around the park or simply enjoy the weather and each other’s company.
4. Cool Dessert: There is no denying that summer in NYC can be terrible—the humidity intensifies the heat and makes it difficult to remain in a good mood. It’s the perfect excuse to call up your crush and go eat ice cream, fro-yo or ices! Really. You can go to your local ice cream place if you have one or chase after a Mr. Softee truck or simply go to your fave frozen yogurt spot. It’s simple and sweet. You can walk around as you eat your cool treats and then if you’re up for it, you can go and get yourselves hot all over again.
5. Carnival: Carnivals just scream summer and they happen just about every week during the season. It’s such a cliché date idea, but it’s just so much fun! Who doesn’t want to be given a deformed-stuffed-animal won by their significant other? Aside from funky looking prizes and over-priced games, there’s cotton candy, corn dogs, funnel cake, kebabs and so much more delicious food available! Why wouldn’t you want to go and hang out there for a bit? There’s also the Ferris wheel—which is supposed to be the most romantic ride ever (I’m afraid of heights, but that’s just me!) The carnival date is ideal if you don’t mind crowds and are looking for fun and games.
6. Concert: If you love music then summertime is the season for you! Tons of festivals go on during the summer season in addition to free concert series all over the city! If you and your lover are into the same kind of music then this is just the date for you! Have a few drinks, listen to some awesome jams and even dance a little bit! The night will be incredibly enjoyable and even more memorable.
Summer is a spectacular time—there is so much happening and that’s why it’s great to experience what the city has to offer! The dates above are just a few ideas but there are so much more—think about all of the plays, museums and galleries and random events that NYC has to offer. You can walk a bridge. Go to a café. Visit a library. New York City is an infinite abyss of possibilities when it comes to dates. These dates can be altered depending on the kind of couple that you are. Also, all of them can be turned into group dates, or they can happen between you and your friends or family!
Just make sure to wear sunblock if you’re going to be outside! For more information on events happening in the city, check out TimeOut.