I woke up this morning feeling rejuvenated and refreshed! Then I checked my e-mail and saw an article my Dad sent me entitled, “10 Things You Should Never Say In An Interview.” Is he trying to tell me something? As you all know from my past articles, I do have a case of “Jobitis” so this information is critical to me as I start applying to jobs. As I read the list, I started laughing out loud. It’s hard to believe these things are said on an interview. According to the career site, FINS, here are the things you should absolutely never say out loud in a job interview:
1. My apologies for being late, my husband and I were fighting. It happens all the time.
2. I’m in anger management because I hit a former co-worker.
3. Well you’re cute, too.
4. My old boss was a monster, and it’s really scarred me emotionally.
5. Oh, that’s because I just took a Xanax.
6. That other guy you are interviewing? Think twice.
7. Just a little itch.
8. I locked a mentally ill patient in a room to teach him a lesson.
9. Sorry, I’m having a hot flash.
10. Oh, he was killed in a drug deal.
For those of you who are beginners in the interview process, always make sure to leave all personal and medical issues at the door. This is what we call “over-sharing” and has nothing to do with your skill set. Remember to always be professional as soon as you walk into the building. For more tips on how to get hired, make sure to read the book, “What Does Somebody Have to Do to Get a Job Around Here! 44 Insider Secrets and Tips that Will Get Your Hired“, by Cynthia Shapiro. Shapiro reveals many insider tips that will help you nail that job interview. Make sure to read this book and NEVER say the above statements. Good Luck!